CBC News Barbados

Double shooting in St. Philip

Police are tonight investigating a shooting at Kirtons, St Philip which has left one man dead and another injured. The incident occurred this afternoon, leaving bystanders shocked at the reckless and deadly attack. Anesta Henry has the story.

CBC News Barbados

Netanyahu, Biden discuss ceasefire-hostage deal

By Lauren Izso, Hira Humayun and Nikki Carvajal, CNN (CNN) — Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has spoken with US President Joe Biden about the progress in negotiations for a Gaza ceasefire-hostage deal. “The prime minister discussed with the American president the progress in the negotiations to release our hostages and updated him on the mandate he gave to the negotiating team to Doha in order to advance the release of our hostages,” Netanyahu’s office said in a statement about the call on Sunday. It added, “the prime minister wanted to thank the American President (Joe) Biden and the incoming President Donald Trump for their cooperation for the holy mission.” The White House said Biden and Netanyahu discussed the negotiations in Doha, based on the proposal the US president laid out in May. Biden once again called for an immediate ceasefire in Gaza, the return of the hostages and increased humanitarian aid to the enclave. Biden also spoke to Netanyahu about the “fundamentally changed regional circumstances” following the ceasefire in Lebanon in November last year, the collapse of former Syrian President Bashar al-Assad’s regime the following month, and Iran’s weakened position in the region, the White House said. This is the first publicly announced call between the two men since October 2024, and it comes as Netanyahu summoned two major critics of Biden’s ceasefire deal proposal to meetings to discuss a potential deal. Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich and National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gvir have previously rejected a peace proposal laid out by Biden in May of last year, which would pair a release of hostages with a “full and complete ceasefire.” Both ministers rejected the idea of an immediate ceasefire and have called for fighting to continue until Hamas is destroyed and all hostages are returned. The far-right ministers have previously threatened to resign and topple Netanyahu’s governing coalition if he accepted Biden’s proposal. The meetings with the Israeli cabinet members on Sunday come as Israeli negotiators have expressed “cautious optimism” at the talks ongoing in Doha this weekend, which involve a high-level Israeli delegation including Mossad chief David Barnea. Netanyahu under pressure Netanyahu, who met with Trump’s incoming Middle East envoy, Steve Witkoff, on Saturday, is facing pressure from both the current and incoming US administrations to reach a deal. Last week, Witkoff touted progress made at the Doha talks and expressed optimism about making gains by the time of Trump’s inauguration on January 20, though a senior administration official said talks remained difficult. Trump himself has said there would be “hell to pay” in the Middle East if the hostages are not released by the time he is sworn into office. His incoming national security adviser, Mike Waltz told ABC on Sunday said he wants to see some type of agreement before inauguration. “I want to see (the hostages) walking across the tarmac, or at a minimum, some type of agreement before the inauguration because President Trump is serious,” Waltz said. Waltz also said Hamas was “completely isolated” and has “to enter into some type of agreement.” The Biden administration said earlier Sunday it was still working toward securing a hostage deal before the president leaves office. National security adviser Jake Sullivan told CNN’s Jake Tapper on Sunday that while reaching a deal by January 20 is “possible,” he “cannot make any predictions.” “We are very, very close, and yet being very close still means we’re far, because until you actually get across the finish line, we’re not there,” Sullivan said on “State of the Union.” Sullivan said White House Middle East adviser Brett McGurk is still in Doha, “hammering out with the mediators the final details of a text to be presented to both sides.” In a December interview with CBS that aired Sunday, US Secretary of State Antony Blinken said that when an agreement is reached, it will be “on the basis of what President Biden put forward.” The-CNN-Wire & © 2025 Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All rights reserved.

CBC News Barbados

PM Mottley pays tribute to Dr Karl Watson

Prime Minister Mia Mottley has paid tribute to Dr. Karl Stewart Watson following his passing on Saturday evening. She lauded him as “an extraordinary historian, archaeologist, educator, mentor, and diplomat, who dedicated his life to preserving and celebrating the essence of what it means to be Barbadian.” Her full tribute follows: Today, Barbados mourns the loss of one of its most remarkable sons, Dr. Karl Stewart Watson, an extraordinary historian, archaeologist, educator, mentor, and diplomat, who dedicated his life to preserving and celebrating the essence of what it means to be Barbadian. For over 60 years, Dr. Watson gave unparalleled service for the love of our country and its people. His study and preservation of our nation’s history and heritage were grounded in a profound understanding of the value of our past. Indeed, his efforts have helped remind us that in a time of much global uncertainty, knowing where we came from ensures we never forget who we are, and what we are capable of. I know with absolute certainty that his work has enriched our collective identity as Bajans, inspired generations, and strengthened the foundations upon which our future will be built. Whether it be through his time with the University of the West Indies Mona or Cave Hill Campus, in the Barbados Foreign Service, the Barbados National Trust, Barbados Museum & Historical Society, the George Washington House Restoration Committee, or his work on the Nidhe Israel Synagogue and Jubilee Gardens in Bridgetown, Newton Plantation, the Barbados/Carolinas Committee, or through his numerous publications or articles in the newspaper, Dr. Watson unearthed stories that revealed the resilience, ingenuity, and humanity of our ancestors. In recognition of his immense contributions in life, Dr. Watson was awarded the Gold Crown of Merit in 2011. However, I believe his best reward would be our genuine appreciation of the enduring impact he left on the lives of those he taught, guided, and inspired. On behalf of the Government and people of Barbados, I extend heartfelt condolences to his family, friends, and all who mourn this irreplaceable loss. Let us all take solace in the knowledge that Dr. Watson’s legacy will endure, lighting our path forward as we embrace our opportunity to write on history’s page. May we honour his memory by continuing to cherish our history, protect our heritage, and strive for excellence in all that we do. May he rest in peace and rise in glory.