CBC News Barbados

CBC News Barbados

Ukraine ends supply of Russian gas to Europe

By Kosta Gak, Alex Stambaugh and Anna Cooban, CNN Kyiv/London (CNN) — Ukraine has made good on its promise to halt the transport of Russian gas to Europe through its territory after a key deal with Moscow expired on Wednesday. Ukraine’s refusal to renew the transit deal was an expected but symbolic move after nearly three years of its full-scale war with Russia and comes after Europe has already drastically cut Moscow’s share of its gas imports. Ukraine’s energy ministry said it ended the deal “in the interests of national security.” “We have stopped the transit of Russian gas. This is a historic event,” the ministry said in a statement, adding that its gas transportation infrastructure had been prepared in advance of the expiration. Last year, Kremlin-owned gas giant Gazprom, which signed the transit deal with Ukraine’s Naftogaz in 2019, recorded a $6.9 billion loss, its first in more than 20 years, due to diminished sales to Europe, Reuters reported. That’s despite its efforts to boost exports to new buyer China. Ukraine now faces the loss of some $800 million a year in transit fees from Russia, while Gazprom will lose close to $5 billion in gas sales, according to the news agency. Several European countries still purchasing Russian gas had previously arranged alternative supply routes, it reported. The lapsed deal had represented about 5% of the European Union’s total gas imports, according to Brussels-based think tank Bruegel, and supplied mainly Austria, Hungary and Slovakia. Now, after its expiry, Europe receives pipeline gas from Russia via a single route: The Turkstream pipeline, which runs through Turkey and on to Bulgaria, Serbia and Hungary, says Bruegel. Henning Gloystein, head of Energy, Climate & Resources at Eurasia Group, said the deal’s end came as “no surprise” but expects it to trigger a jump in spot gas prices when markets reopen on Thursday. But “a major price spike as seen during the previous Russian supply cuts is unlikely as EU importers have long prepared for this (scenario),” he told CNN, adding that most of Europe has had a mild start to winter. The European Union has been working with countries for over a year to prepare for the possibility of the deal’s expiry, a spokeswoman for the European Commission told CNN. “The European gas infrastructure is flexible enough to provide gas of non-Russian origin to (central and eastern Europe) via alternative routes,” the spokeswoman said. “It has been reinforced with significant new (liquefied natural gas) import capacities since 2022.” “We did our homework and were well prepared for this scenario,” Austria’s Energy Minister Leonore Gewessler said in a statement on X early Wednesday, adding that the country’s energy firms had sought out new, non-Russian suppliers. However, Slovakia’s Prime Minister Robert Fico said on Wednesday that the halt of Russian gas flows via Ukraine will have a “drastic” impact on the EU but not on Russia, according to a Reuters report. Fico has previously argued that the end of the deal would lead to higher gas and electricity prices in Europe, the news agency said. What does this mean for Europe? Before Russia launched its full-scale invasion of Ukraine in 2022, Russia was the European Union’s biggest supplier of natural gas. The bloc has whittled Russia’s share of its pipeline gas imports down from over 40% in 2021 to about 8% in 2023, according to the European Council. To fill the gap, Europe has imported vast quantities of liquefied natural gas (LNG) — a chilled, liquid form of natural gas that can be transported via sea tankers — from the United States and other countries, as well as pipeline gas from Norway. The EU has also ramped up imports of Russian LNG to help heat its homes and power its factories, but faces a self-imposed deadline of 2027 and plans to break its dependence on all Russian fossil fuels. Analysts told CNN last month that countries receiving Russian gas through the transit deal with Ukraine are not at risk of an energy shortage and would likely fill the gap by importing more LNG or more natural gas via pipeline from other European nations. Still, Massimo Di Odoardo, a senior natural gas researcher at energy data firm Wood Mackenzie, told CNN in late December that the deal’s expiry would make it harder for Europe to refill its stores before next winter. That’s one reason why European gas prices are likely to remain close to their current levels or perhaps rise in 2025, he said. Prices have tumbled from all-time highs reached in summer 2022 but are still more than double their historical levels. There are already signs of strain in the region. Reuters reported on Wednesday that Transdniestria, a breakaway region of Moldova, a non-EU country that also receives Russian gas via Ukraine, had cut heating and hot water supplies to households following the expiry of the transit deal. The-CNN-Wire & © 2025 Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All rights reserved.

CBC News Barbados

Romania, Bulgaria fully join Europe’s borderless zone

By Sophie Tanno, CNN (CNN) — Romania and Bulgaria have become full members of the European Union’s border-free Schengen area after scrapping land border controls in the bloc. The expansion was officially introduced at midnight on Wednesday and was marked by celebrations at some of the countries’ border posts. “Welcome to Schengen, Bulgaria and Romania!” the European Parliament wrote in a post on X Wednesday. “As of today, there will be no more checks when travelling across land borders between Bulgaria or Romania and any Schengen member country,” it added. At the stroke of midnight, the Bulgarian and Romanian interior ministers symbolically raised a barrier of the Danube Bridge, Reuters reported. That crossing, also known as the Friendship Bridge, connects the two countries and is a key transit point for international trade. Fireworks were also set off close to the Bulgarian border town of Ruse, where the bridge enters the country. The two former communist countries partially joined the Schengen area in March when they lifted checks on traveling by air and sea. However, discussions over the land border controls continued. The final barrier to full membership was removed last month, when Austria dropped a veto it had maintained on the grounds that more was needed to stop irregular migration, Reuters reported. The European Commission has previously welcomed the expanded Schengen area, describing it as making “the EU stronger as a Union, internally and on the global stage.” The area now encompasses 25 of the 27 EU member states, excluding Cyprus and Ireland. It also covers Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein. According to the European Commission, it enables the free movement of more than 425 million EU citizens, as well as non-EU nationals living in the bloc or visiting. It also enables citizens in the bloc to travel, work and live without special formalities. The Schengen zone is the largest area of free movement in the world, according to the commission. The scheme has occasionally caused friction among its member states, including over flashpoint issues such as security and migration. In September, Germany chose to temporarily reintroduce controls along all its land borders as part of a crackdown on migration. Member states have the ability to temporarily reintroduce border control at internal borders in the event of a serious threat to public policy or internal security. The-CNN-Wire & © 2025 Cable News Network, Inc., a Warner Bros. Discovery Company. All rights reserved.

CBC News Barbados

Man facing death penalty after rape, murder of girl

NASSAU, Bahamas, CMC – A 38-year-old man will re-appear in court on May 1, 2025, after he was charged with the sexual assault and murder of 12-year-old school girl, Adriel Moxey, whose body was found in bushes near her home on November 20. 2024. Police say that Chris Ferguson is responsible for the death of the seventh-grade student at Anatol Rodgers High School and that she had been raped and murdered by him. Ferguson faces the death penalty if found guilty of the charges given that he is charged under a section of the Penal Code that would allow prosecutors to seek the death penalty. He was not required to enter pleas to the charges when he appeared in court on Monday before Chief Magistrate Roberto Reckley, who informed the accused that a lawyer would be appointed in the Supreme Court. The matter has been adjourned to May 1, 2025, for the presentation of a voluntary bill of indictment.